2017-2018 COMPETITION RULES
The Society of Midland Authors (SMA) literary awards recognize book writing excellence by Midwestern authors. Three judges on each committee will select one winner that is best in that category. Category winners receive $500 and a recognition award.
Judges may also deem one or two honorees as worthy of recognition. Each honoree will receive a commemorative award. All honors are given out at the awards banquet in May.
A book may be nominated by its author or publisher. Please read the following rules carefully before submitting:
- An entry form must accompany each book that goes to each of the three judges in its category. That means a total of three forms per title (three judges, three forms, three books). Books unaccompanied by completed entry forms will not be considered.
- Each book entry must have a 2017 publication date that corresponds with its copyright date. The author must either reside in, be born in, or have strong ties to one of the 12 Midland states SMA represents: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Each submission requires an entry fee of $10. To pay by PayPal or credit card, please click on PayPal Payment below. To pay by snailmail, send a check to Society of Midland Authors, P.O. Box 10419, Chicago, IL 60610. This payment must identify the book title, author and source of check, so SMA knows which author and book entry to confirm as a paid entry. (You can use the “comments” box to write the information for Paypal. Copy the entry form to go with your snailmail check.)
- For now, we do not consider e-book originals unless accompanied by a print edition.
- Books by deceased authors are eligible, providing they meet the other requirements.
- Submissions must be postmarked by January 6, 2018. We urge early submissions. Send entries to the appropriate judges by clicking on Contest Judges below.
- To enter this year’s competition, print out the entry form from Printable Entry Form below. Include a completed copy with each nominated book. Mail a copy of the form and the book to each of the three judges in the selected category. Make sure that you enter the book in the proper category. (For example, all children’s books go to children’s categories, rather than Poetry or Biography and Memoir, which are for adult submissions only.) Books submitted to improper categories will be disqualified.
For comments, questions or to confirm an entry has reached the judges, contact
We look forward to your submissions. Thank you and good luck.
Marlene Targ Brill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page